Saturday, July 15, 2017

Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt finale

I feel it is very fitting for the final block in this fun sew-a-long is the Rainbow block. The rainbow has become a symbol for embracing diversity. People have really shown their individuality in this SAL. There has been a tremendous amount of creativity in the various blocks each month.

I had a bit of trouble visualizing an upside down rainbow, so I made a double right side up rainbow instead (showing my individuality). Since I have changed the orientation of some of the blocks anyway, I thought Esther wouldn’t mind.

The fabric choices people have made have been so much fun to watch. There are 1930’s fabrics, wools, batiks, and fussy cut florals. The techniques have been varied as well; machine applique, buttonhole stitched (hand and machine), needle turned, and more. There are quite a few utilizing the quilt as you go method and a few (like me) are using the potholder method. 

I am so excited that they are planning an exhibition beginning in May, 2018. If you have been sewing along, I hope you are considering submitting your finished quilt for this wonderful exhibition. More details to follow on the Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album blog (here).


I have enjoyed this project immensely and I would like to thank Dawn (Collector with a Needle) and Doreen (Aunt Reen’s Place) for hosting this 25 block sew-a-long and for keeping us all motivated. A big thank you to the Virginia Quilt Museum for publishing this pattern and allowing us to share our progress with others. And lastly, I would like to thank Esther Blair Matthews for her artistic vision and impeccable skill in the making of this quilt in 1858.

Please check in with the link (here) and enjoy all the unique quilts. 


Now what? I have already started another long term applique sew-a-long. With the wonderful patterns from “Collector with a Needle" (here) I am venturing down the Noah and Matilda road. Nothing to report yet, I’ll keep you posted. Wink!

10 comments:

  1. We never see upside down rainbows around here, but there are plenty of double rainbows. : ) It is a lovely block.
    That will be fantastic to have a display of these beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun block and I like your change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The double rainbow is a perfect ending to a long term project. I know you're going to have fun with Noah and Matilda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been such fun to watch your progress and I LOVE that you did your own thing with this block - woo hoo.
    Your cheddar background is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your quilt is going to be amazing! I love all the individual changes you made and I think a trip to the exhibit will be necessary!!
    Can't wait to see what you're doing next! (IN PERSON!!! YEAH!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't thought about the upside down rainbow. If I had given extra thought, I might have done the same as you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved to see all your blocks during this wonderful adventure with your friends !
    And I love your choice of the cheddar print ...so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful finish Wendy! Double rainbows are so special in nature and your quilt.
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with Noah and Matilda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gorgeous block & finish Wendy!
    I love how you oriented the Rainbows on your block. Wonderful that you personalized it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful colors in your last block! The cheddar is so warm and cozy looking. It's good to put your own personal stamp on a QAL, makes for more of a connection.:)

    ReplyDelete